My world

My world

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In Vitro Fertilization

Infertility is the inability of a couple to become pregnant (regardless of cause) after 1 year of unprotected sexual intercourse -using no birth control methods. For Dale and I it has been 10 years with no innocents or close calls.
Infertility affects about 6.1 million people in the United States, about 10% of men and women of reproductive age. New and advanced technologies to help a woman become pregnant include in vitro fertilization (IVF), 
intracytoplasmic sperm injection(ICSI), and other similar procedures.  IVF offers infertile couples a chance to have a child who is biologically related to them.  With IVF, a method of assisted reproduction, a man's sperm and the woman's egg are combined in a laboratory dish, where fertilization occurs. The resulting embryo is then transferred to the woman's uterus (womb) to implant and develop naturally. Usually, 2-4 embryos are placed in the woman's uterus at one time. Each attempt is called a cycle.  The term test tube baby is often used to refer to children conceived with this technique. I am not sure if I like that so called term or name for the baby.  Less than 5% of infertile couples actually use IVF. IVF is usually the treatment of choice for a woman with blocked, severely damaged, or no fallopian tubes. IVF is also used to overcome infertility caused by endometriosis or problems with the man's sperm (such as low sperm count). Couples who simply can't conceive and have tried other infertility methods that have not worked for them can also try IVF.  I think this is our next step.  In a year, we will decide if we want to spend 12-40 thousand dollars on this method.  We will see how the Creighton Model works for us first then we will be trying other methods of conceiving.  I just hope something works for Dale and I.  I will keep a positive attitude :)  That is all I can do for now!  Hope it works for me!  Much needed prayers needed.

No comments: