My world

My world

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Poopy Situation

Gabriella goes many days with out having a bowel movement.  The first 3 months of age she would have a bowel movement every 3-4 hours, but now it is every 3-4 days.  Should I be concerned?  
I believe in my heart that it is from being breast fed, and she is absorbing all of mommy's milk.  When the body absorbs all the nutrients from the breast milk there is no waste left.  I am glad that breast milk is the best, but I would feel more comfortable if she had one bowel movement every day.  Being a nurse, we really are concerned with a poopy situation.  We always worry, because we have the control to give medications to help any one have their own poopy situation.   Crazy I know.  Now being a mother I am not going to give a 4 month old a stool softener or a laxative or anything else for that matter.  I am not that kind of a crazy mom.  
The doctor told me to purge, do you know what that is?  Purging  is when you stick a thermometer up your little baby's butt to help start a bowel movement.   I don't feel comfortable during that either.  I will only stick a thermometer up rectum if she has a temperature.  I also, do not want her to rely on me to help her have bowel movements.  
I should be happy that she is comfortable and has no distress.  I would assume her belly would be hard, but it is not.  I would also believe if she has a bowel obstruction she would be vomiting, and she is not either.  I have to say, I do not see any signs of distress, which makes me a very happy mommy.  
So.... the count is on we are 3 days in of no poopy diapers.  Hopefully there is a blow out in our near future!

No comments: